Quite a productive day today although not in a challenge way (only managed one). However, made six Christmas cards based on the Friday Sketchers sketch. Also managed to update my blog with a lovely background, fix my clock and make a chocolate and cointreau mousse as a wee treat for tonight (one for Mrs Wonka I think).
Chocolate and Cointreau Mousse
7oz (200g) good quality dark chocolate (about 60% cocoa solids)
3 large eggs, separated
1 1/2oz (40g) caster sugar
2 tablespoons Cointreau (or other favorite liqueur)
• Break the chocolate into pieces and place in a heatproof bowl with 4 fl oz (120ml) of warm water. Stand the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. Make sure that the bowl is not actually touching the water.
• Leave the chocolate to melt for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
• Remove the bowl from the heat and stir the chocolate really well until it is smooth and glossy. Then leave it to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
• Beat the egg yolks together and then add to the cooled chocolate, along with the Cointreau. Beat again until smooth.
• In a spotlessly clean bowl, whisk the egg whites to a soft peak stage. Then whisk in the sugar one third at time. You will now have a glossy, soft meringue.
• Now fold a small amount of the meringue into the chocolate using a metal spoon and "cutting actions". Once the mix has loosened up, continue folding in the meringue about one third at a time. Be careful not to be too vigorous or you will knock the air out of the mousse.
• Finally divide the mix up between 6 small ramekins. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
Serve with whipped cream and biscuit curls - delish!
Off for a long hot bath now I have been cold all day - hope I'm not coming down with something.
Bye for now.